Monday, September 6, 2010

A Place Called "Omak"

Omak is a quiet city in Washington state located at the heart of the Okanogan County. If you plan to travel northwest in the U.S., or just want to escape from busy Seattle, Omak's a city you might want to check out. It is also a two hour drive away from Spokane. 

In August, Omak becomes busy as tourists flock to witness the traditional "Suicide Race," a form of horse race that dates back during the Wild West. It is literally like committing suicide as racers riding their horses plunge down an almost vertical drop. Personally, I am against this type of activity because lots of horses have died or have been injured because of this race. I am glad the race season was over when I visited the place.  

Beyond the Suicide Race, there are great areas to check out in Omak. They have well-kept parks and camping sites to explore and I am thankful that I had the privilege of visiting one of them.











No comments:

Post a Comment